Posted on 02-13-2015
You maybe thinking ANOTHER HOLIDAY errggggg.....
How about a sweet treat that's made of whole, real foods?
Our Valentines present to you.....
Dark Chocolate Whole-Wheat Brownies
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour (I tested this recipe with King Arthur’s organic white whole-wheat flour, which is 100% whole-grain)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa, you will have much better results if you use “dark” cocoa (Hershey’s makes some)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup (or honey - my family is divided because I loved the maple version and they loved the honey version)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9X9 inch square glass baking dish with oil or butter.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl including the flour, cocoa and baking powder and set aside.
- In a small pot on the stove melt the coconut oil together with the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Once the coconut oil is melted whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the egg and keep whisking until it's mixed together thoroughly. If using nuts fold them into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the glass baking dish and bake for 16 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Eat or store in an air-tight container at room temperature - enjoy!
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.